About Me

My photo
Worcester, MASSACHUSETTS, United States
Hi guys out there! Well, stories have been my first love because they make life. We all have stories to talk about, stories untold, stories locked in our hearts. I have been writing stories ever since they influenced me. Here I am with three fiction novels in my kitty. If you have a story you want to talk about, you can always write to me. Here you'll find my blog posts too which are sometimes funny and stupid because I choose to write what prevails within me. About me on a personal note: I love to write at any time. Some day, I want to be the person who creates a tiny difference in the book world. Apart from that, I do have common interests just like anybody else with an extra tint of passion for books. You can always write to me here chitalmehta1987@gmail.com or check my website here - www.chitalmehta.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

How the missing plane MH370 found its way in movies…just not in a good sense!


I don’t watch movies very often. And that’s only due to lack of time. Whatever time I get that my toddler spares me, goes into reading and writing. So, last week, I decided to watch a movie after I heard my husband crackling loudly as he sat alone in front of the computer. I was curious. And I wanted to watch a movie. So, I said, why not?

After meeting my husband, I got acquainted to Tamil movies. I don’t really understand all of it but I think I can do with the majority of it. Initially, I struggled with comedy. But with passing days, I have become better at making sense of timing jokes. I am a fan of ‘Vijay Sethupathi’ for his innate sense of humor and choice of movies.

Anyway, I was just halfway through this movie which is filled with illogical jokes and humor that doesn’t really make you laugh. Still, I decided to finish what I had started. At one point, a joke came up pointing to the missing plane MH370. One character says that the protagonist, Sethupathi is responsible for the mystery behind the missing plane. This was clearly meant as a joke which of course didn’t bring out any laughter at all.

The scene swiftly moved to the other and all about the joke was forgotten.  For some reason, I couldn’t get past it. Perhaps, this is because I read a non-fiction book titled ‘MH370 – journeying the void’ just a few weeks ago. It contained the first-hand account of how the plane went missing and how the author was dealing with the loss of his wife. If anything, the book deserves to be respected for what it portrays. The families of the missing (who are presumed dead) are still dealing with unexplainable loss with hopes that one day they will get answers as to what went wrong.

I think film-makers should pay attention to what they add into their movies. Such jokes are distasteful which can be fully avoided. I agree with the fact that comedy is art and involves hard work. But isn’t it more important to be human to care and respect first?

Should every historical tragedy always find its way into jokes?

No comments: