I was just having one my most busiest days at work when I got a call from my friend demanding to talk right away. I explained him that I was in the middle of something really important and that he should wait. But he insisted that I listened to him as he was in deep trouble.
Finally, I had to listen to him for another forty five minutes in which he explained how he had become friends with a girl in college, how she cared for him when he fell sick or missed classes, how phone calls started, how they had become the best of friends… all this seemed like a common story which happens in every campus almost every day. I felt like yawning when he suddenly broke the news that she had proposed him. No big deal, friends do fall for each other, I thought.
Sadly, this friend of mine had just been brought alive from a break up so another relationship was just too much for him to handle which led him to the refusal of the proposal. A chain of events follow now which when I heard from him, really caught my attention.
She started pestering him to love her back- he kept denying- she begged him to be friends- he agreed thinking the denial would hurt her too much- she got obsessed with him- she calls him out- he refused flatly and switches off his phone- she pops in pills and slits her wrist- people around panic including him- doctors are called- friends and family are worried- she is put under intensive care.
My friend called me up because he did not know what was to be done. He wanted to get away with the situation without having a stain on his name. I told him that it was his fault that he gave lot of space for her to develop such fantasies which when denied led her to a suicide attempt. My friend, who was helpless, said that he just did not love her and never thought she would go to this extremes.
My first thought was ‘man, that girl has got real guts. You need guts to kill yourself, right’. But if one wanted to show guts there were many other things to do like running in traffic, climbing Mount Everest, watching a horror movie all alone, etc…. but why suicide?
Why would anyone want to suicide? I thought deeper and decided that suicide was definitely not courageous. It signified weakness not to face the real universe by waking up from the surreal world.
If by any chance the screws of your brain loosen up and you feel like ending up yourself, just follow these steps.
· Remember, nothing, nothing at all is permanent so this also applies to sadness. When you’re ready to experience happiness, sadness also comes along with the package.
· Expect, dream and hope. But always be prepared for anything to happen.
· Cry, break things, shout at anybody- the walls, the house, over the phone or anything. Just let the tension seep away.
· Being emotional shows human but letting emotions kill you is inhuman. So, have control over your thoughts and emotions which turn into actions.
· Have a lot of friends no matter what. Believe me; it works wonders to have friends around you.
· Have faith in yourself and God (if you’re not an atheist).
It just takes a minute of unnecessary thinking to commit suicide. It also takes a minute of thoughtful, mature and common sense thinking to understand that life is precious. So, accept that suicide is stupid.
I told my friend not to worry and that the girl will surely learn a lesson that life is not worth throwing away for things that are not in your life.
- Texas, United States
- Hi guys out there! Well, stories have been my first love because they make life. We all have stories to talk about, stories untold, stories locked in our hearts. I have been writing stories ever since they influenced me. Here I am with three fiction novels in my kitty. If you have a story you want to talk about, you can always write to me. Here you'll find my blog posts too which are sometimes funny and stupid because I choose to write what prevails within me. About me on a personal note: I love to write at any time. Some day, I want to be the person who creates a tiny difference in the book world. Apart from that, I do have commom interests just like anybody else with an extra tint of passion for books. You can always write to me here email@example.com or check my website here - www.chitalmehta.info